12 Questions with Daniel Fowlds:
1. What was the first band you played in?
Laissez Faire was my first band that recorded and gigged. We were in high school and from different schools so it seemed more legit and was. We played the Minnesota State Fair, First Avenue and we were the house band on the Joey Sparrow Show. Pretty big time! I'm still friends with all the guys and a couple members are still active in the Twin Cities music scene.
2. Do you play in any other bands?
Not at the moment.
3. How many and what instruments do you play?
Mostly guitar really. A bit of mandolin and piano. I played drums in high school marching band but even then guitar was what I wanted to be playing all the time.
4. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
I would be my dog, she has it pretty good.
5. What was the most memorable concert you’ve ever been to?
Wow, I'm not sure — I've been to so many great ones! I camped overnight with my sister to get David Bowie tickets back in the late '80s and got 6th row I think? Peter Frampton played guitar for that show it was pretty awesome.
6. You're stranded on a desert island... What three items would you bring?
Not an item but my wife, plenty of fruits and veggies and a guitar.
7. How did you become a musician?
Got my first guitar when I was five from my aunt Margo. I told her I didn't need lessons; I already knew how to play it. Not quite! I took piano for a few years, but didn't like it. In hindsight, the approach probably wasn't suited to me. When I started buying rock records I started playing my guitar all the time; I'd caught the bug.
8. What famous person (dead or alive) would you most want to have dinner with?
The entire Obama family.
9. What is the best advice you've ever received?
Have balance in your life from my first guitar teacher Doug Thompson.
10. What musician(s) influence you the most and why?
Hmm. Maybe the Beatles? I think everyone knows why.
11. What is your favorite food and drink?
Green Earth breakfast from Seward Café on the West Bank in Minneapolis.
12. Do you have any pets?
Our dog Bootsie Collins, and our cats who are great but will remain nameless for security reasons.